Christians have worshipped on this site since Saxon times. All Saints’ is a listed building Grade II* built of local limestone. It was built and rebuilt a number of times and some of its Architectural history is obscured by later building. Parts of the 13th century work are seen in the Arch into the Faxfleet Aisle, the North Aisle is early 14th century and the Tower is 15th century. A serious fire in 1600 destroyed the church again and it was rebuilt. Major restoration works were undertaken in 1788-9 and 1810, and between 1846-1860.
A growing and vigorous congregation uses the Church for weekly worship. The Church and the adjoining hall, or “ASCC” are a focus of village life. As South Cave has become a commuter village there has been a loss of the sense of community. We hope to play our part in halting or reversing that trend and draw more people into the life of the church.
Methodists in South Cave
Villagers from South Cave would have heard John Wesley preach in North Cave in 1761 and perhaps again in Hotham in 1788. The first Methodist Meeting Place was in George Turner’s house in 1782. According to Robert Sharp, pioneer Master of South Cave National School, one Richard Milner had done much to establish a Methodist Society, here in 1790. Now a private house the Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1816 and closed in 1943. Followers of William Clowes, the great East Riding evangelist had been disowned by the main Weslyan body because of their camp meetings (one held in Brantingham), “enthusiasm” and “love feasts”. Known as Primitive Methodists, they built their chapel in 1877 on the site of the two cottages where they had been meeting.
This new “commodious chapel, with schoolroom and vestries” cost about £600 to build. Few changes have been made to it, except in its use. Since their decision in 2005, to join with the Church of England, in a Local Ecumenical Partnership, Methodists have shared in worship at All Saints Church. The LEP was inaugurated on 9th September 2007.
Unfortunately, because of the continuing risk of flooding which is due to the chapel’s damp location and the problems of making the building fire-safe, the church council decided in 2007 to sell the Methodist Church building which has now been converted into a house by its new owner.